Friday, December 28, 2007

ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END!!


I have had such a good time at home with my family in San Jose, CA. It's not quite the same as being in The Bahamas at this time of year - not only do I miss seeing my friends but there's no Junkanoo festival (parade similar to Carnival in Brazil), no boiled fish soup, no Boxing Day, no beach to go and hang out on - oh well, we make do here when we're with each other and talk about the Good Ol' Days! Not to worry, my parents will be moving back home to The Bahamas in another couple years when my dad retires and although they'll be further away from me, I will be happy that I will get to spend my holidays there again.

We managed to make the most of the one week I've been here. We went to church, we went shopping, we went to the movies - we saw The Great Debaters. For all of you that have not yet had the opportunity to see this movie, I am wholeheartedly giving it two thumbs way up!! Denzel's 2nd directorial effort was nothing short of outstanding and we have enjoyed discussing the different aspects of the movie since we saw it a couple days ago. We've also had time to listen to some music together, cook and even do some Christmas cleaning.

My family is known for being silly and we love to laugh at ourselves. I am usually the ring leader, with my mother running a close second. I try to get them to do the craziest of things and then capture it on film. I am going to add another picture gallery so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. I'm still laughing at our version of The Karate Kid doing the preying mantis (those of you who have seen the movie will know what I'm talking about) - my poor parents...the things I put them through...



The weather has been pretty cold, even getting down to the 20's at night which is really cold for us California residents. I did manage to train every scheduled day (other than Christmas Day) in spite of the weather. I just put on my gloves, my wool hat and my fleece jacket and took care of business.



Yesterday I went to Rio Vista (an hour and a half drive) to train for the day. My old coach Dan Pfaff, who used to coach me for 5 years, is there now and it was really good to get a jump session in with him. His eyes see all my flaws in an instant and it was just good to have him confirm for me that I am on the right path. I am definitely going to try to see him every so often. It's worth the trip home!

The saying "Time flies when you're having fun" could not be any truer for this trip home. Tomorrow I'm headed back to LA. That just really means that the indoor track season is upon us all. It seems to come around so quickly, but the more training days I get under my belt, the more I am looking forward to the end of the month when I will once again put myself to the test against the best in the world and see how I match up. Hope you all had as great a holiday as I did!