Saturday, February 16, 2008

DOWN IN THE DUMPS:(

If I were being honest, I would have to say that I haven't felt this low in quite some time. My day started out on a high note - a couple of fun texts with my good friend and then I went out to run some morning errands. Today was supposed to be a good day. In fact, I barely slept last night because I was excited and so looking forward to today.

For close to a year now, I have talking about buying a new car. I have had my 1999 Pontiac Grand Am since 1999 and it was finally time for a change. It was still running well, it still looked good and I had very few problems with it if any at all, but after taking a long time to figure out exactly what car I wanted, I finally made my choice - Chevrolet Equinox, Chevy's smallest SUV. When it comes to these kinds of decisions, I don't make them easily. I did all the background work. I read all the reviews, checked out the reliability, comfort, gas mileage, weighed the pros and cons of all-wheel as opposed to front wheel drive, warranties...everything I could think of, not to mention I paid for a Carfax history check.

There were many to choose from but again, after months of looking online, I finally went out on Thursday to go to test drive my final choice, the one I REALLY wanted. It met all the criteria I had for cost, mileage, colour, drivetrain, etc. I drove the almost 50 miles to the dealership and everything turned just as I had hoped. I loved it. The only problem was that they did not accept trade-ins at that dealership so it was for only that reason that I did not buy the car on the spot. I told the guys that I would be back today and that if for any reason they needed to call me, if anyone else came in to try to buy it they should call me because I had first dibs. I would come in right away if I had to. AGREED! I even called yesterday to ensure that the car was still there and to tell them I was coming today.

So this morning I go and sell my car to a dealership that I had found yesterday. I then head to the bank to get my cashier's check made out and my roommate and I head out again, 50 miles to buy MY car. Wouldn't you know, we pull up to the dealership and I say to my roommate, "I don't see the car!" but really I'm just joking, because I KNOW it has to be there. I get out and immediately go up to the guy and ask him where the car is and he says, "Oh we sold it 10 minutes ago."

Picture every look of shock, misunderstanding, amazement, disbelief and disappointment that you can imagine and that would pale in comparison to the look that was on my face. I thought for sure he must be playing with me. But after him confirming it to me for a second and third time, it starts to sink in that he is speaking the truth!! The car is GONE!!! I think it wouldn't be so bad, had I not sold my car this morning. I say my piece in a not so calm voice and then I retreat to some cars parked on the side and just sit indian style on the pavement with my head in my hands and I feel a couple tears drop. I must be dreaming!!!

Sadly, I am not. I finally get up after some urging from my roommate and after hearing some lame apology from one of the guys, I drag myself back to my roommate's car and we head back to Culver City in traffic, another 50 miles. That was at around 2pm. It is now almost 10pm and I have still not fully regrouped. The fact is, I have no car now. Tomorrow I have to go to rent a car until I can find something satisfactory, hopefully sooner than later.

My mother told me it could be worse but she didn't really tell me how so. They say everything happens for a reason and as I am typing, I am hoping that the Lord can give me a little clarity here so that perhaps I can have a restful night of sleep.

8 comments:

Bodies By Joice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bodies By Joice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bodies By Joice said...

Here you go sweeetie. Joice always has quote to soothe.

Ones best success comes after their greatest disappointments.

So I expect you to be driving a Bentley by the end of the season.

Love ya

Jx

Anonymous said...

Awww man. That blows. I guess money talks more than verbal promise in the car industry.

Remember Jeremiah 29:11. Maybe God has something even better out there for you. Maybe he knew that there were some internal problems to happen to that particular vehicle that you, the dealership nor Carfax knew about. Rest assured that it is NOT over!

Keeping It Real said...

That really is an awful thing to have happen. We had a similar experience, though not involving a car. Hubs and I layed down some dough for floor tile we wanted and when our tile installer went to retrieve it, he said the store (Lowe's) didn't have enough. They had sold our tile to another customer and now we have to wait a couple of days for them to get in another supply.

Bastards said it was an error because the salesman didn't set aside our tile. Incompetence!

By the way, saw you at Shelia's (Black Tennis Pros).

Jackie E. said...

Joice, Jewells, Queeny: Thanks ladies for the words of understanding. Thankfully, today is a new day and, keep your fingers crossed, I might have stumbled across a better deal this afternoon. I'll know for sure by Tuesday...

Brianna said...

ooohhhh...I would have been so PISSED!!! too bad you don't cuss.

but yea, everything for a reason! the car that you end up getting will be a better deal. i just feel it.

Blogger said...

Using RentalCars you can discover the best rental cars from over 49,000 locations globally.