Wednesday, January 16, 2008

LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!

So one of my all time favourite things to do is to go to comedy clubs. I had never been to one before I moved to LA and I had never thought that they would be all that entertaining anyway. I always figured, how funny can they be? That was until I went to my first show a couple years ago.

One day when I was at the track working out, I met a guy named Chris Spencer who as it turned out was the host at the very well known Laugh Factory on Sunset Blvd. He hosted a weekly show on Sunday nights called Chocolate Sundaes. He invited me to come to see one of the shows and eventually I finally went. Who knew?? I laughed my head off. I remember laughing so hard till my stomach and my head hurt. It hurt so good!! Since then I have been back many times and I have gone to several other clubs around Los Angeles. I think I like the atmosphere at a comedy club. It's different from a night club in that you don't have to deal with all game playing but you can still mingle a little, have a drink if you want and know that you're gonna have a pretty good time.

My friend Chris has sinced moved on from hosting at The Laugh Factory and now hosts at a place called The Savoy in Inglewood on Tuesday nights. He has invited me to stop by for quite some time now but because it's on a week day, it's kinda hard to go to a 9pm show, knowing that I have to workout the following morning.

Well tonight I finally decided to go...and boy did I have a great time. I had been a little apprehensive at first because I am not too familiar with Inglewood. I only know of it from rap songs but once I got there, I realised that I didn't have anything to worry about. The place was packed and I couldn't find a good table so I just hung out a little till I saw Chris and he got me a reserved table that was still available.

The show was fantastic. I'm not sure how many comics came up but everyone was really good.. The lineup included Joe Torry and Sheryl Underwood (the lady with the purse), but I would have to say that this guy that I had never seen before named Tony Roberts was the best of the bunch. I mean this guy had us all laughing sooo hard that my stomach literally ached and at times I could barely catch my breath. I would definitely go to see a show with just him by himself. He was that good!!!

Turns out it was the actress Regina King's birthday and so she was there with a few friends including Vanessa Bell Calloway and Theo Huxtable - what's his name?? - Malcolm Jamaal Warner. He cut those dreads off so he looked a lot better. I ran into a friend of mine there too. I saw him walking up to the table but I wasn't really paying attention. It wasn't until he got closer that I realised that it was him, Kenny Lofton. I met him a couple years ago actually at The Laugh Factory. He is as much a fan of comedy as I am. He ended up sitting with me. It was great to see him and to catch up and I look forward to seeing him again pretty soon.

I just got in so I better get to bed soon 'cause I have a jump session tomorrow that I need to "lick for six" (that's Jamaican for go well, ace, kill!) Training has been going pretty well and with my first competition coming up at the end of next week in Glasgow, Scotland, I need to have my A-game ready. In the meantime, I'm going to bed with a smile on my face because I had such a good time tonight. Laughter is good for the soul, they say and I would add that it's good for the heart and mind as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeeeah! I was much like this too. The first time I went to a comedy club was back in 2003. I went to 'Teddy's House of Comedy' [Teddy Carpenter] in downtown D.C. over by Verizon Center. I believe Lavelle Crawford was headlining that night and I have never laughed so much in my life. I have been addicted to area comedy clubs since then. We have like one good club in Maryland that brings a lot of "who's who" of comedians, so it's all good. I have even seen DL Hughley live and after seeing that fool, my stomach hurt for a day afterwards.

I have seen Chris Spencer on BET's Comic View and dude is hella funny. I am not a fan of Joe Torry at all. He is like the least funny person ever...him and his shrimp brother Guy; they are both wack as h*ll to me. Sheryl Underwood is very funny; she always got that purse on her. LOL!

I said all of that to say this...Tony Roberts is my FAVORITE comedian! I would do anything to see him perform live. I hit him up on MySpace to see if he was gonna be in the D.C. area anytime soon, but I have not back from him or his peoples, so I guess that is a no. I figure I may have to travel if I wanna see this cat and something tells me, it would be worth the trip and the expense. I want to see Tony Roberts and Bobo Lamb because they are like two favorite "unknown" comedians.

Oh yeah, best wishes in Scotland. Go get 'em sis!

Marcus LANGFORD

Jackie E. said...

I have seen Lavelle Crawford as well and he had me ROLLING, much like I was last night. When your face, jaw and stomach hurts from so much laughter, it can only be classified as all good!

Brianna said...

aww, i miss comedy clubs. i wouldn't dare venture out to one in tucson!!

btw...you should date him. you know who.

Anonymous said...

Laughter is definitely healing.

Sounds like you had a good time. I have yet to go to a comedy club. Something on my to do list though.

You go ahead and "lick for six" in Scotland! Hope I said that right.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I love Urban Safari's skills. Excellent job!

Jackie E. said...

Thanks Jewells. I appreciate the sentiment. It is my second passion and something I look forward to getting into full time once my track career is finished.