Tuesday, October 21, 2008

FINALLY BACK AT HOME.....

I'm back in LA finally after what can only be described as a whirlwind!! Honestly, I think we fit more in one week than I normally would fit in a month. On Friday alone last week, I took four flights and was on four different islands in The Bahamas. Talk about island hopping. We wrote the book!!!

We got to go to Inagua, an island that was heavily hit by hurricane Ike and also to Cat Island, another island in the chain of 700 that encompass the entire country and one which I had never been to. In both places, we were treated to performances by the local school kids and they truly were the highlights of our trips.



On Saturday, we had more autograph signing at Robin Hood which is a Costco type place. That was followed by another luncheon and finally that night, the big awards banquet which the Prime Minister of The Bahamas, the Rt.Honourable Hubert Ingraham attended.




I would have to say one of the most memorable moments that night was when two of my teammates, Debbie Ferguson and Chandra Sturrup were awarded their respective gold and bronze medals from the 2001 World Championships in Edmonton. In light of the recent stripping of major medals from Marion Jones from all events during that period of time, both Debbie and Chandra were moved up one spot to their rightful places, Debbie from silver to gold in the 200m and Chandra from 4th to 3rd in the 100m.


It was really touching and our Prime Minister awarded them their medals ceremoniously on a makeshift podium replica and the National Anthem was played for Debbie. It in no way makes up for the moments in the spotlight that they were due at the time of competition but it was extremely moving and I have to say that my eyes welled up a little.

We ended the night on a high as we let our hair hang out literally at the infamous club Aura in the Atlantis hotel.

I'm not sure what time we left but suffice to say, a good time was had by all!

Now, guess what, it's time to get back to training. It's amazing just how fast times flies when you're having fun...

5 comments:

Garret said...

Awesome! Time for a break I hope!

CapCity said...

Yes, u certainly deserve a break!

I admit to peeking in periodically & feeling intimidated when I do. I am in awe of those who have the God-Given energy to push their physical limits. Thanks for sharing... I need to peek in here more often for the inspiration that u provide!

Anonymous said...

I probably would've cried as they received their respective medals as well.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

yep u look nice
and the smile says it all

Augustine said...

I absolutely match with your post.
nice page | get it | his site